Spitfire Makers were pleased to have worked with the Shirley Local History Group and artist Sarah Silver to design a Shirley Spitfire Trail Map. Thanks to Reaching Communities lottery funding, the trail was designed to replace the SLHG Autumn Talks series 2020 and our proposed “Shirley Spitfire” guided walks, both of which were postponed due to the Covid 19 pandemic.
The trail provides people with a self-guided walk taking in the sites local to St.James’ Park in Shirley, Southampton where the ’secret’ Spitfire factories were located during WW2. The walk starts and finishes at the Park with encouragement to drop into the ParkLife Cafe for a cup of tea afterwards!
Please note: if you are walking with older children – we would suggest a shorter route which misses out stops 3 – 5 (along Winchester Road which can be busy). We have developed an Investigation Sheet which can be filled in along the route.
We do not recommend the Shirley Spitfire Trail for families with young children due to the number of road crossings.
Our thanks go to:
- Shirley Local History Group
- Friends of St James’ Park
- Reaching Communities National Lottery Fund
- Sarah Silver who designed the map – Begin With A Dot Illustration | Facebook
- Dave Key at The Supermariners for supporting information
- Southampton City Archives & Solent Sky Museum for photographs