July 2026

Posted on Face Book by Alan Matlock – 21st July 2026

UNVEILING DAY – A FAMILY AFFAIR

The Electric Joinery Works Ltd., off Botley Road in Hightown, Sholing, was owned by Bert Wells from the mid-1930s and several family members were part of the workforce when it was requisitioned by Supermarine as early as December 1939, to supply all manner of wooden items, including some of the components of the early tail assemblies.

To arrive at this day it had taken several years of research, with help as ever, from Dave Key of The Supermariners website. We are also grateful to Ibex Homes for working with us to facilitate the installation of the plaque. One focus of the company is “residential remodelling”, and this is precisely what they had done with the building behind the plaque, which was part of the original Works premises. Re-roofed and re-clad, it has been turned into several self-contained apartments.

Spitfire Makers Chair, Alan Matlock, outlined the history of the Newtown Works Wood Mill, as it was known, before handing over to Tony Wells, Bert’s eldest grandchild, and his cousin Rick Allanach, to perform the unveiling.

The relatives of Bert had jointly funded the blue plaque to commemorate the site, and those who attended were really pleased that the plaque had finally been put in place – once again this was done by the excellent team from the Bitterne Men’s Shed. They all gathered afterwards at a nearby pub to share family stories.

A second Spitfire Makers plaque has been sponsored by the family for the other joinery business operated by Bert Wells, which was in Spring Road, Sholing and also taken over by Supermarine.

This plaque has already been produced but can’t be installed until permission has been obtained from the current owner of the site. The process of getting consent for each plaque is one of the main tasks for members of the project team and is proving to be a real issue at the Spring Road location and other sites in and around Southampton.

If anyone knows how to get in touch with the current owners of the former joinery workshop and later ice cream factory at 190, Spring Road, Sholing, please let us know.

The plaque was unveiling. ~ Listening to Alan explain the history of the site. ~ Job done! Tony Wells and Alan Matlock shaking hands with Rick Allanach. ~ The plaque is positioned in front of part of the original workshop, now refurbished and divided into flats. ~ The installation team from the Bitterne Men’s Shed. (Photos: Keith Baker). ~ A wartime view of the exterior of the Works buildings with the Aircraft Defence Police guard in blue uniform on the gate. The remaining building is the one on the left. Photo: Vickers Archives, University of Cambridge. ~ Interior view of the Works showing wooden components for Spitfire tail assemblies being made. Vickers Archives. ~ Inset from previous photo. Albert (Bert) Wells in flat cap and glasses. ~ Wartime works outing. Bert Wells centre, with striped tie. (Photo: Rick Allanach) ~ Kelly’s Directory entry, 1936/37.